Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Cyclone Larry

Larry the category five cyclone ("that's the same as Katrina" as people are so fond of saying) has ripped his way through northern Queensland. He trashed the place he did. A state of emergency has been declared in Innisfail, but thankfully there were only minor injuries.

I've been watching the news coverage on TV quite a bit, and what struck me is how some houses are completely flattened while the ones around them hardly look damaged at all. It's also a bit strange how the news coverage goes off on tangents. They start off saying how the banana crop was destroyed and instead of focusing on the job losses, they focus on how the price of bananas has gone up Australia-wide...

Actually I'm quite the tangent-fan.

I ate the last banana in the house this afternoon. It looks like I'm going to go without them for a while. I actually considered holding some kind of banana farewell ceremony because that banana was so perfect. It was a great memory to go out on.

1 Comments:

At 2:38 pm, Blogger Skvid said...

Awww thanks :)

I'm glad I'm not dead too!

There's another one hanging around out on the ocean, and I think they've called it Wottie. I don't know what to think of that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home