Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Do you want to be a Polyester Bride?

I am very smiley right now. I went music shopping today, I haven’t been in ages and I went a little nuts. I went into the store with my gift voucher to buy 2 CD’s that I’ve wanted for ages and I came out with another 7…

But it’s ok, I didn’t smash my tawdry little budget. The 7 CD’s cost a total of $42. Mucho happiness! Five of them were singles from the bargain bin, but I like the songs and I have inherited a “thing” for bargains from my grandmother. Of course I’m going to have to make myself a compilation CD out of them, because they are mostly just three songs and I’m way too lazy to keep swapping the CD over.

The two (belated pressies) that I intended to buy:
The Boat People – yesyesyesyesyes
Josh Pyke – Feeding the Wolves

Singles:
67 Special – Walking away
The Pictures – I don’t care
Nine Black Alps – Shot down
Louis XIV – Finding out true love is blind
After The Fall – The fighter

Albums that I should have bought years ago:
Liz Phair – whitechocolatespaceegg
System of a Down – Toxicity

These last two albums helped me through times when things were a little confusing. I had Polyester Bride by Liz Phair stuck in my head for my entire first week at university. I remember walking around in the maze of buildings, completely lost and singing this in my head:

do you want be a Polyester Bride?
or do you want to hang your head and die?
do you want to find alligator cowboy boots they just put on sale?
do you want to flap your wings and fly
away from here?


System of a Down make me smile. I used to think that was odd, because they are essentially a heavy metal band singing about serious stuff, but they are a band with a brain, and that’s always good. This came out around the time when I was finishing uni, and realising that perhaps a career plan would have been a good idea…

Actually they don’t really fit in with the rest of my list very well. “One of these things is not like the other”. I’m listening to it as I write this. I love the way he sings “toxicity”. I’ve decided that if I try to describe why I love it, it will spoil it. I am way too clumsy for that sort of thing.

That gives me another thing to cross off my potential future careers list:

Potential Future Careers List
Hairdresser
Aeroplane Pilot
Professional Soccer Player
Queen of New Zealand
Rat Breeder
Piano Tuner
Music Journalist
Weird Font Artist

1 Comments:

At 9:15 pm, Blogger Skvid said...

Samirah - That sounds like it would be cool, in a slightly odd and unexpected kind of way...

Undr - I'll be sending my membership application for the Weird Font Artist Foundation soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home