Tuesday, April 25, 2006

ANZAC Day

I went to an ANZAC day memorial service today. We used to have a short memorial at school with the minute's silence, but it's quite different to go to one of your own accord. My fifteen year old cousin was the only one who wanted to come with me. I shouldn't be that surprised, it's not like anyone in my family has ever shown much interest in things like that.

My interest was sparked by my unplanned visit to the museum last week. I had almost an hour to fill while I waited for a bus, and the museum was right across the road from my stop. They'd moved the exhibit of a relative of mine who died in the first world war so that it was right out the front. This was the first time I've been able to stand there and take it all in...

So now I've been using the interweb for something other than completely pointless time wasting. Doesn’t happen often, but it does happen. So 'The Last Post' is in my head now. If you’d like to also have it stuck in your head there is a version here. Not quite as haunting as when you hear it on a clear morning amongst a crowd of contemplative people.

And here's a rather nice photo of a Dawn Service with the Light Horse Brigade.

1 Comments:

At 12:39 pm, Blogger Skvid said...

ANZAC stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corps. ANZAC Day is a holiday we have every year to remember all the Aussie 'Diggers' who've served.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home