Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I feel like I look and I look like Shrek

I remember a girl from my high school saying:

“I just went past the art room and someone was singing a song about bestiality…only at this school!”

Now I remember thinking that was crap. Sure, I did a forced laugh and agreed with her at the time, but ten years later I’m thinking she was wrong.

I have always had this peculiar knack for great timing.

I have been assisted in my conclusion by her bitchy comment in my grade twelve yearbook thingy…”Good luck, but don’t try too hard to be funny”

Yeah ok, just take my insecure attempts to fit in and slam them in my face! Because you really needed to point out my biggest source of teen humiliation, and thankyou so much for doing it in a book that I'm supposed to look back on nostalgically. Next time, write "Good luck! Party hard!"

I console myself with the fact that she’s a messed up chick who has now got a rep for slutty behaviour… I'm not gloating over her "fall from grace". Honest. That is an unfortunate thing, but perhaps it goes toward explaining the writing of insensitive comments in inappropriate places.

Anyway, my original point was about how everyone thinks their experience of stuff is unique, and how that is bollocks! I admit I did get a little distracted by ME for a bit (who wouldn't?), but I’ll go back to the original point now. It’s as if we were supposed to be the weirdest school in Brisbane or something. But we definitely weren’t. The net has proved a useful tool for helping me realise that freaks are everywhere. I had suspected this for some time, but the net has confirmed it.

The other Real Life Experience I am basing this on is how people have often said things like:

“Don’t mind my family, they’re all crazy!”

Or

“Oh, when the Smiths get together we are one loud bunch!”

Everyone’s family is loud, especially if it's a large family. It’s not some kind of special thing you have to explain to people.

And “crazy” can mean anything from your uncle wearing a novelty apron at the barbecue, to schizophrenia running in your family…

Perhaps my little observations say more about the kind of people I’ve met in my life than anything else.

Anyway, I still think people like to think they are special, or at the very least different in some way. Although humans are also very into fitting in with groups. Which at first seems a little incongruous, but I think I get it now. You want to fit in with your group, but you want your group to be unique and special.

People drive me up the grizzle-tootin' wall sometimes! I'm sure I wouldn't find them so darned interesting if I wasn't one myself.

Me = human. Me= selfish. Skvid = shellfish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home